Saturday, October 17, 2009

Facebook Folly

Giving Facebook a serious look on how it does (and mostly does not) enrich my life. Recently, I have become aware of several instances where Social Media has caused major set-backs in people's lives. It has messed with relationships, it has cost people their jobs.

In my own life, sharing my opinions has already killed off three friendships--albeit, relationships that were questionable in the first place, due to their online nature--but I am not sure if I want to continue this pattern.

I don't know if Facebook really serves any purpose other than to give people my Rolodex, and a means for potentially meddling in my life. The more that I think and write about it, the more I realize that I need to tighten up what I share, make my life more private, work on the relationships that are reciprocally meaningful, and shed the extraneous.

I don't want to offend anyone, but I also can't leave my virtual door open to pernicious attacks. Weighing the options between mildly hurting some people's feelings versus the potential damage that giving open access to people I don't know that well… I think we all know where I would rather err.

I'm sorry, I'm cutting just about everyone who I don't feel I know well enough. It has to just be friends I've made (not friends of friends) friends from real life, people I've known more than 3 years, family, and people whose character I really think I know. I'm sorry I have to pass this judgement, but my life is just too valuable.

5 comments:

  1. Awwww ... sorry you feel that way. I updated my FB too - some of the same reasons ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what's going on with FB--somehow I can't add you back in. I immediately regretted deleting you, by the way, but I was in a cleaning out Twitter kinda mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *snif* I feel so deleted ... it must be in the air - the "others" are doing the same thing I see

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're back in where you're supposed to be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for writing this - as soon as I read it I went straight to my facebook and started cleaning out "friends". I like Twitter for getting snippets from strangers and, perhaps, making some new friends, but facebook is for those peope I actually know. Thank you for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete

Be nice! If you don't like me, you at least have to tell me who you are!