Saturday, November 28, 2009

Fight the Good Fight: Volunteer




The day before Thanksgiving, I helped Hounds Haven move two Bassets from Jewell to Iowa City. Jewell is about 20 minutes north of Ames, in SE Hamilton County. The great rescue/vet hospital there is South Hamilton Animal Alliance and Jewell Animal Hospital The vet there, is fighting the good fight, against 2 puppy millers in the same town.

The Basset drop to Mix'n'Match Rescue was uneventful, but I was so happy that I could incorporate doing good on behalf of animals into my usual drive. Sometimes I stop at Safe Haven to walk or tend to the dogs there. Someday, I will foster for them. Right now, I have still have Buford at home.

Please take a moment to read the blog of Lisa Hindle Deppe, DMV. She's fighting an uphill battle, with people who view animals as property to be casual with--not fixing their pets, shopping instead of adopting, and the general small-town poverty-malaise that happens when people don't want to upset their neighbors, so they don't do the right thing for suffering animals. Bottom line: Jewell needs volunteers. If you are headed North, consider stopping in and helping out with the animals there. Call ahead to check hours, but any amount of time you could donate helps. If you know anyone in Ames, Webster City, or otherwise, please let them know about Jewell, and encourage them to volunteer as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice! If you don't like me, you at least have to tell me who you are!