Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Failure




Today, a total bitch challenged me on how I personally help animals.

Now, she doesn't know me. She is an ugly, washed-up, talking-head hag who is protecting her shitty company and their shitty policies. She doesn't know that I helped to start The Pet Project Midwest (sorry for swearing in a post about you, I know you won't like it) and I left to do the magazine, which is 100% adoption focused, and to work on direct care. In monetary terms, I donated a ton of kitty litter and dog food to TPPM, I bought a $400 dog house from Pet Project Midwest as a fundraiser. I also helped to build a wall at Heinz 57's Pit Stop, and am planning to help them build another wall really soon. I went to two Petland protests. I wrote at least 8 letters to elected officials on the Iowa Puppy Mill Bill that passed in March. I wrote and designed and sold ad space for the magazine and I personally recruited at least 15 non-profit rescues to be part of a fundraiser through the magazine. I really hope it comes back strong in 2011. I went to a court hearing of a puppy miller, to support the rescues that took his abused and neglected dogs. I also did some other things that I can't talk about. But if you read this, and you were a part of it-- you'll know.

But she struck a nerve. She hurt my feelings. She pushed me over the edge, because I am sitting here on the last day of 2010 feeling like a FAILURE. Because I had a goal at the beginning of 2010, and I didn't make it. My goal was to directly help 100 dogs in 2010.

Direct Help, to me, includes:

1. Directly transporting in my car.
2. Directly fostering in my home.
3. Finding a foster home for a dog.
4. Cross-posting in a way that leads to an adoption or a foster home
AND MAYBE: 5. Giving money to help an individual dog's situation--health bills come to mind. I did this 6 times, in increments from $5-$20. So, 6 dogs, if we count this.

So, how many others did I help?

5 Bassets over Christmas 2009 had to be re-transported in early 2010
2 mill poodles to Columbus, OH, on my way to BlogPaws 2010
1 Pregnant Pyr
1 Foster, transport, foster home for Stewie Basset was also in-home for a total of three nights
1 Foster--Solomon
1 Foster--Jimmy (adopted by Tim and Vicky)
1 Charlie (originally Bailey) (adopted by Tim and Vicky)
2 Yorkies--found foster home with Kelly and Andy
4 Recruited Molly Nagel to take Scooter, who needed surgery. Scootie was adopted, he was going to be put down because he growled when he played. Molly fostered Bailey and Nina from Joplin, Missouri, and foster-failed Bailey. (YAAY!) Molly began her own efforts, and I believe helped over 50 animals this year?? I also helped her by going to Red-something Iowa to retrieve Dallas, a dog that had gone astray. I'm counting that!
1 Puppy Mill Survivor "Little Red"
1 The Weeg, the Basset the Fernandez family adopted.
19 dogs total

Transports --according to my mileage log for taxes, I helped with a few transports this year.
20 dog transport--helped to load/unload, overnight, walk and tag. Does this count? I think it does, because I spent over 4 hours doing it.
12 dog transport
6 dog transport
5 dog transport
5 dog transport
7 dog transport
4 dog transport
4 dog transport
8 dog transport
2 mill dogs to Williamsburg
4 dogs needed rides to Pella, Iowa

77 dogs transported
( I was asked to do 14 weekend transports, and I did 9 of them, the others were special trips)

SUBTOTAL: 97 dogs. Does money toward vet bills count? Because then it is TOTAL 103 dogs helped.

SO, technically, I barely made my goal of helping 100 dogs. So, looking at my failure, how am I going to change in the New Year? First of all, on January 1, I am transporting. I am taking two dogs between Des Moines and Williamsburg, IA. I am going to keep transporting, as much as I can, every weekend I can. Because I personally could have done more.

Recruiting. I am going to recruit and train fosters and drivers. I think I only recruited about 6 people to help

Posting. I am going to post more on Facebook and Twitter about dogs that need help.

Engaging other communities. Earlier this year, I had a thought about helping get dogs adopted in Northern Minnesota. I think I want to pursue that...

What are you going to do?

5 comments:

  1. You count all this as a failure? You, Holly, are an amazing woman! I commend you for your passion and love. If EVERYONE would just help ONE dog a year, imagine the possibilites!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ASPCA says that 5 out of 10 dogs in shelters (and btw 7 out of 10 cats in shelters) are destroyed simply because there is no one to adopt them. I'd say that the work you have done and are doing is both charitable and significant. Rock on with your bad self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Pyr was pregnant with more than 3 puppies for sure, her previous litter was 10, SO IN MY BOOK YOU MADE OVER 100!

    Kim and I haven't done 50, last count since about April we're at roughly 30 animals when the few cats Kim fostered are included :) Maybe we can hit 50 by the time we're actually at a full year.

    Thanks for all of your help through my rocky beginnings at rescue, I couldn't have done it without help from awesome people like you. I'm going to be picking your brain upcoming for event ideas with the Students Helping Rescue Animals group at ISU, there's a lot we want to get to happen by the end of the coming semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are forgetting fostering Lola, Rubi & Copper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lola, Rubi were '09, can you believe it has been that long? : ) Maybe I could count Copper in '10, though, just because he's so naughty!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice! If you don't like me, you at least have to tell me who you are!