Friday, January 15, 2010

Dirt Lust

Today I went to Home Depot for some CHEAP TUBS. $3.60-ish for peacock blue, chartreuse or brown. I went for a combo of mostly blue, with some green. I thought that stacked on the white melamine shelves in our garage, it would look neat to have the occasional green box in a wall of bright blue. I want the garage to look more uniform, and cheerier, I think this will do the trick!



While I was perusing the plastic, I noted $1.00 plants on the indoor plant clearance table. I felt like having a plant fix--I
have missed the smell of potting soil and dying plant matter and leaves...and I just happened to have two Cocker Spaniel-shaped planters that need small plants!




Question for you all about knick-knacks...what do you do with your tiny treasures? I have a ton of these tiny porcelain figurines, and two ugly brown thimble boxes to house them. I think I'll paint the boxes white this next summer, and put them on display somewhere. Until then, do these go into storage? It's tough getting rid of inherited knick-knacks, but I was there when all of these were purchased...clockwise from the top, the Iowa bird is from the 1983 Rose Bowl, the whale and the dolphin were gifts my Grandma picked up in Hawaii, the raccoon and the skunk are both from run-ins my Grandparents had with wildlife...my Grandma got 3 skunk figurines as gifts from the time that she and her dog startled one in the woods! I still remember the smell of skunk, the phone call when she asked my Mom to get her more cans of tomato juice, the sight of a LOT of tomato juice in a kiddie pool for bathing the dog, and the feeling of sun-warmed, dry grass under my feet, walking over to their house across the street from my childhood home. I can remember all of these things, but I really remember these things when I handle the figurines. One generation away, I feel like I really still have a connection to these items, but what about my kids? There's basically no way I can share these memories with them. Do I try? Or do I not worry about that? Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice! If you don't like me, you at least have to tell me who you are!